Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Tragic Death of the Blue Blanket

When our boys were both about 3 months old, they started sleeping with special blankets. One side was super soft minky-type fabric and the other was a satiny fabric. Matthew still has his 2 blankets (one to use and one as a back-up) and while they look old, they aren't ragged or falling apart or anything like that. Aaron's, on the other hand, have seen better days. Aaron loves to twirl his blanket in his fingers while he sleeps. He also loves to pull every loose thread that he can find. Over Christmas break, he woke up screaming - which usually isn't abnormal, but this time it was LOUD and frightened - and when I went in to his room he had a piece of his blanket wrapped so tightly around his finger that his poor finger was blue. Needless to say, that blanket went in the trash. It wasn't salvageable. 

We returned home with only one blanket, but since we now have a washing machine in our apartment I didn't think it would be a big deal. I tried explaining to Aaron that he was going to ruin his only blanket if he kept pulling on it, but he definitely didn't listen. 

Exhibit "A"



He completely ripped it open. I searched and searched for other blankets like it, but couldn't find anything reasonable that actually had satin on the back. 

I lucked out and found a duplicate of Matthew's blanket at a Bealls store in Florida and ordered 2 of them. Big brother Matthew got Aaron all hyped up to have a blanket just like his. He also let Aaron borrow his extra blanket while we waited for the new ones to arrive.


Aaron was pretty thrilled to have his own blanket back. I'm not sure when we will get past the blanket phase. Matthew is 5 1/2 and he still loves his. I don't mind, though, and they don't seem to either. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

My cousin was in college before he got rid of his "wubby" (that's what he called it as a kid!). We always teased him, and he never seemed to care :)