I am hosting the playgroup I belong to with the ladies from my church this month. On my first one I ended up having to leave just as people showed up so that I could go to a very last minute consultation by the only oral surgeon who could get me in before my trip to Arizona. My friends graciously allowed me to leave Aaron with them while they all chatted and played in the sprinklers. The surgeon was very gruff, old, and military trained... but I could immediately tell that he knew his stuff. He told me that he was going to only use a local anesthetic and that I should be fine within a couple of days. My tooth was very close to the surface and would be very easy to extract. He saw my Temple Dental shirt (side note: both sets of parents spoiled us and bought us Temple Dental shirts/hats while they were visiting for Chris's white coat ceremony and they are our absolute favorite! We wear them at least once a week!) and he talked my ear off about it all. He graduated from Temple Dental in the late 70's. Anyway, so the appointment was made for Friday, June 13th at 3pm. Chris had a special Father's Day craft at Matthew's school that he took time off of school to attend and he had a practical exam during my appointment. The dentist swore up and down that I would be fine to drive myself home, so that was our plan.
Yesterday I was a mess. It was the closest I have ever come to having a full blown anxiety attack in a very long time. I was pacing and obsessing over so many different things. If you've never experienced a true anxiety attack, it would be hard for you to understand. But it was horrible. I asked Chris to give me a Priesthood blessing and after some tears and rest I was fine. When Chris came to bed that night he told me that he had emailed his professors asking them to allow him to take his practical exam on Monday. I was so grateful and relieved. I wanted him with me so much but I just couldn't bring myself to ask him to blow off school. I truly married an amazing man.
Which brings me to today. I was pretty nervous. I spent my morning helping out a dear friend pack and taking care of our kids so she could focus. I got to get my baby fix in while holding her newborn, Graham. So did Matthew. He loved it and is totally ready for a little sister. I keep telling him to be patient for a couple more years. That's our plan, for those of you who are wondering. We're just not ready quite yet.
Anyway... After that we picked up a big lunch at Wawa and headed to drop our kids off at the Smith's house. Shaunté is such a great friend and mom and we love their family so much! I knew that my kids would be well-behaved and enjoy themselves, and I can't always say that when I leave them with friends.
Chris was my chauffeur and we went straight to the oral surgeon's office in Yardley. He came out at 3:15 (exactly when he told me to be there) and said he was running late. He suggested going Starbucks. We chose Baskin Robbins and I enjoy myself some world class chocolate and mint chocolate chip!
I sat in the chair about 4:05pm shaking life a leaf. Dr. Nicklas allowed Chris to stay in the room and watch, which was a relief to me. The injection didn't hurt a bit and he didn't even use topical. For that I was grateful! I was a little uncomfortable hearing the bur and smelling whatever it was cutting into (found out later than it was a little bit of bone), but Dr. Nicklas was fantastic at explaining the process and Chris seemed to touch my leg or shaking hands at exactly the right times. I was walking to the car with post-op instructions in my hand by 4:45. I didn't even have to use my playlist to distract me. Dr. Nicklas let Chris have my tooth so he could practice drilling at school. It's quite a bit smaller than I expected. I was even able to look at it on the way home without getting sick! Big accomplishment on my part.
I got a script for some Lortab which is stronger than the stuff I currently have and that was helpful. I've been in constant pain, but it's a tolerable pain. Maybe ranging from 2-4 on the pain scale. My family has been amazing. Chris required me to lay down as soon as we got home and I iced my face for 40 minutes on and 10 minutes off all night. Chris dropped off my script, did my grocery shopping with both boys (my entire list with both boys is even a stretch for me to do), picked up my prescription, fulfilled some duties for his calling, and dropped off something for his friend while I rested. Then he came home, put the kids to bed with hardly any help from me, and proceeded to finish and fold the laundry that I had started earlier that day. My man is amazing. 10 years ago this month we first started dating and I am grateful for that first date we had on June 11, 2004 every single day.
Anyway... I promised Chris when he saw me awake that I wouldn't let myself be up for more than 30 minutes, so I must go lay back down. But thanks to lots of ice, a steroid taper, a good oral surgeon and an amazing family, I'm not even swollen!
See... Proof!




No comments:
Post a Comment