Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 8: Washington DC - The Museum of Natural History

We got to our hotel in Washington DC around 4:30pm. We got our bearings, figured out what we wanted to do that day/night, and headed out! The Metro in DC is set up different than any other public transportation I've been on - but that isn't saying much since the only cities in which I've ever taken a train/subway are Boston and Atlanta. Once we figured it out we were on our way! The boys loved it, once again.



We rode Metro to the Federal Triangle station to see the Museum of Natural History. It closed early so it was our first stop. The walk there wasn't too long and we even stopped by the IRS building.



We are so grateful to Ben Fillerup for suggesting this one above all the others! It was just like he said - a quick walk through. We could have spent more time, but not with kids. They were content to mostly be in their strollers. They got out when it was really cool. This next picture is one of the boys in front of a moose. This one is specifically for Uncle Elder Duford (Kenny).



This next picture is for Grandpa Kevin! He served his mission in Australia. He would have liked this part of the museum.



The dinosaur exhibit was one that Matthew has been waiting to see for some time! He has been asking to see dinosaur bones for about a month or so. He was so happy!!! Aaron loved it too.










In the insect exhibit I saw the largest cockroaches I have ever seen. They were about 2/3 the size of my hand and they had wings. GROSS!!! I hate cockroaches. I think they are one of my biggest fears. I used to have dreams when I was little that my parents turned into giant cockroaches and were trying to get me to come inside. I refused to go into the house with the giant cockroach parents and was so scared. I was in a bath one time in our house on Van Marter in Kingman and a couple of cockroaches crawled in through the round thing under the faucet - while I was in the bath. Apparently it wasn't caulked the way it was supposed to be. I also vividly remember playing with a light bright and grabbing a live cockroach instead. Those 3 things have created a massive, ridiculous fear of cockroaches.



My favorite exhibit was the National Geographic exhibit of photographs taken of nature. I took pictures of my favorite ones. They were all amazing. Since I've learned about real photography and what it takes to create a great shot, I am in awe of these. I could have stood and looked at each one for about 10 minutes admiring the composition and light and focus. Which one is your favorite? I don't know if I can pick. I think it's either the lions, the giraffes, or the orangutang hands.











This next exhibit is one that we didn't even know was there. It was amazing and took my breath away at first. Can you tell what it is?



That is the Phoenix 2 - the capsule that rescued the Chilean miners. It's the actual capsule that each miner went inside and rode up from underground. And this is the Chilean flag that they all signed.


It was a very reverent exhibit. What an amazing moment in history that was.

We didn't get to see the Hope diamond and I was pretty sad when I realized it was there and we missed it. The museum closed at 7pm, so we were rushing to see everything we wanted to see. We'll have to go again when we have more time!

No comments: