Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 5: Sweet Southern Comfort in Georgia

Sorry for the delay in posting, but we've either been busy or away from WiFi access. I'll get this blog up to date today!

Day 5 was interesting. The drive from Mississippi to Georgia wasn't all that great. We woke up in the morning and realized that Aaron's 2 Wonka movies got left at Cracker Barrel the night before. I called and they said they don't have them. Bummer! Aaron is okay without them for now and we have a 2nd copy of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. However, we do not have a 2nd copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He insists on having both and it was getting a little out of control anyway, so now at least we can tell him that they got left behind and that is why we don't usually let him take his toys or movies inside places that we go. For now he's forgotten about them. We'll see what happens when we get into our new place. We left Mississippi and realized our front left tire was low (again - it has a really slow leak) and tried two different places to get air in our tire. The first gas station's air pump took our money and we had to make a phone call to get reimbursed. The second gas station's air pump wasn't working. It was pretty frustrating but eventually we got on the road and headed to Georgia.

We drove through Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana before we got to Georgia. It was pretty, but it all started to look the same after a while. It was a relief to see Atlanta! We stayed about an hour North of Atlanta in a place called Dahlonega. We stayed with Karen & Steve Sutherland, my supervising teacher when I student taught at Manzanita and a 4th grade teacher there while I was in 4th grade. They retired a couple years ago and moved back to Dahlonega where Karen grew up. Coincidentally, Chris served in the Dahlonega area on his mission! We were super excited when the Sutherland's offered to have us stay there because we could see Chris's old mission stomping grounds and also some great friends in Atlanta.

When we got to Karen's it was pretty late, but she fed us some delicious barbecue and then we went outside to try and catch fireflies. It was the first time I have ever seen a firefly and it was awesome!! They are magical. We only saw a couple and they were flying so high above us that we didn't end up catching one in the boys' jar. But it sure was fun trying!







It was gorgeous there. Absolutely gorgeous! And the sound of the cicadas outside was beautiful. I fell in love with it there. It's so nice!! Karen has such a beautiful home. Here is a picture of her and I with my boys.



And here are a few pictures of the inside of her house. It was gorgeous. The wood is so rich and beautiful. The fan in their living room was two round circulating fans that would rotate around the motor of the fan. I've never seen anything like it. The pictures definitely don't give her home the justice it deserves.




After dinner Karen took Matthew out on the porch and told him the story of the 3 Little Pigs. He was sad because he didn't catch a lightning bug, so she was trying to cheer him up. He loved the story. Karen is phenomenal with children. Being able to learn from her while I student taught was the best experience I could have ever had. She is by far one of the greatest teachers I know. Anyway, Matthew enjoyed the lantern outside and he loved sitting on the porch for a bit before bedtime.




Aaron hasn't been sleeping very well on this trip and it continued in Georgia, but he's been sleeping in and taking naps in the car. That has been helping a lot. The next morning when the boys woke up they were so excited to go play outside! It had rained overnight and everything was nice and wet.




We had a wonderful breakfast that morning. Karen fed us so well! We got ready and headed to Atlanta for the day. Before we left I had to snap some pictures of her house and gorgeous yard.





No comments: