Chris spent most of the weekend studying for quizzes and exams, but he was able to join us for a short time on Saturday. He met us at Franklin Square and we ate at Square Burger. It was delicious! Then we headed over to Independence Mall, I think it's called. It's where the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and other historic places are.
As we stood in line for the Liberty Bell we realized that there was some huge event going on. I came home and wrote in my journal about it. I hope you will excuse the personal nature of this, but I wanted to share it and I want to make sure I remember it. So I am adding it here with the pictures of the event.
September 29, 2012
Today my parents, the boys and I went to visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art and some historic sites in Center City. We were standing outside the Liberty Bell Center in Philadelphia waiting to enter and there was a big event going on. At first I thought it was a political rally. Then I noticed people holding their hands high in the air and realized they were worshipping. It was a Christian event, but I wasn’t sure what. As I listened to the speaker I realized that it was a gathering talking about prayer in schools and how important it is. It was a beautiful sermon, but growing up in the LDS church things are less “concert” like and more reverent. It seemed foreign to me and my natural instinct was to just roll my eyes and think about Matthew 5:5-6...
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut the door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and the Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Immediately after that thought I realized how wrong I was to judge them. I don’t know the hearts of those giving the sermon. Everything he was saying was parallel to my beliefs as a Christian. People in line were listening intently and occasionally adding an “amen” to things that the pastor said. I leaned over to my husband and asked, “What do you think Heavenly Father would say to this gathering?” Chris’s reply was, “They’re not doing anything wrong. I think He is happy when His children pray to Him.” I agreed. I looked into the eyes of the people listening so intently to this man preach about why Jesus Christ belonged in schools, and about how important it was to teach our children that our nation be raised as it once was: based on Christian values and a belief in ‘One nation, under God.’” I felt the Spirit so strong in my heart and I was caught off guard by that. There were many there that just laughed at them. Sometimes I believe that as members of the LDS church we are quick to write these people off as “wrong.” “They don’t have the fulness of the gospel. They’re making a mockery of prayer on that stage.” Or we can just roll our eyes and laugh at them because they are taking some so sacred (prayer) and turning it into a rock concert. While all of those things may be true, the thing is, I am not the one to judge their hearts. As I realized that all of these people were united for one cause - Jesus Christ and the importance of God in our lives and in our nation - I felt the Spirit so strongly. It moved me. On the stage the pastor said a prayer and asked us to join him. Right before we walked in I heard the security guard in front of me say “Amen” because the prayer had ended. I said “Amen,” as well and felt privileged to be in that audience today.
Anyway, when we finally got inside the Liberty Bell Center we walked straight to the Liberty Bell because Chris was short on time.
After that Chris left and headed home to study. We walked backwards through the exhibit to see some of the things they had there regarding the Liberty Bell. Then we headed out and over to see Independence Hall!




No comments:
Post a Comment