Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Health Update

I got a massage about a month ago that left me feeling pretty crappy. I get deep tissue massages once a month to help manage pain. It's been fantastic and I've felt great ever since it became a regular thing. However, after this particular massage I was in more pain than I can even describe. I could tell during the massage that my forearms had a lot of adhesions and were tighter than normal. It was painful, but most massages are a bit painful. I'll be sore for a day or so and then it goes away.

The middle of the night after my massage I woke up with excruciating pain in my forearms. The next morning I could barely move them. It was so painful that it was almost scary. I spent a lot of my day lying in our recliner trying to stay completely still to avoid pain. I tried heat and I tried ice, and ice seemed to help more. 




I called Chris and he came home from studying after his classes were over. It helped to have him there. Eventually I took some pain medication and that dulled the pain. By the end of the night the pain started to dissipate from my forearms and started to move more towards my upper arms. That was a good sign, though, because it was starting to lessen as it moved. It's been so long now that my memory isn't keeping track of exactly how it was, but it was just miserable.

The next morning I felt quite a bit better. I was just sore and I could deal with the pain. Then my legs started to hurt and my toes starting to turn white and then blue and numb. It was pretty scary for me and I ended up calling my doctor. He told me to come right in and saw me immediately. I was so grateful! He asked me a lot of questions and did an exam. He sent me home to get a few tests done and had my blood drawn there at the office. I was a little dehydrated and already not feeling well, so I had a feeling it wouldn't go too well. Aaron was with me at the doctor's office, so I tried not to show that it was scary for me. The medical assistant who took my blood wasn't the nicest lady in the world. When she was finished I started feeling pretty sick and asked for some water. She looked at me like I was crazy and left the room. She came back a few minutes later with my water and I started getting shaky and cold. I was pretty sure I was going to throw up. I left the room and asked if someone could keep an eye on Aaron while he was playing with my phone on the exam table because I thought I was going to be sick. As I walked into the bathroom I started blacking out. Luckily I got inside and was able to just lay flat on the cold tile floor. That helped a lot and I didn't end up getting sick. After a minute or so I was fine and luckily Aaron was still just sitting there quietly on my phone. I'm so glad he was a good boy during all of it. 

I took a picture and sent it to Chris because I don't think I've ever seen my face and lips so white!!




As of right now, it's pretty manageable as long as I stay warm. I was pretty hesitant to go back to the message therapist, but I have since then and it was just fine. I told her to take it easy on my arms so I wouldn't have the same thing happen again. I've been doing alright since then. I have to layer up when I go outside and like I said in an earlier post, I don't go outside or play in the snow or anything anymore. I haven't had pain quite that bad again, so I'm almost positive it had something to do with the massage and the adhesions on my arms. Who knows what this all is. Chris seems to think there is something bigger going on underlying all of these weird, random symptoms that I have... But for now, I am not worried.

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

so what did the doc say happened or was wrong? That's insane! you poor thing!