Chris turned 30 on September 30, 2014. I wanted it to be super special because not only was it his 30th birthday, but it was his golden birthday! He had school that day, but I had a special gift planned and could hardly wait to give it to him.
First the boys gave him their gifts. He'd been wanting a copy of Forrest Gump and they also got him a Nike hoodie.
I put together a binder full of birthday wishes from friends both new and old. It was beautiful being able to read the things that his friends and family wrote. For a long time I think Chris felt like he didn't really have a lot of people in his corner. This is just me speaking, I could be totally off base... But it was important to me to be able to show him that he has made a difference in other people's lives... that he has people who care about, love, and admire him. The notes varied from quick little memories to long heart-felt letters and came from old friends, siblings, parents, and new friends. I'm so grateful to everyone that participated and helped make it special. He keeps it by his bed and I know that it really touched him.
And as with tradition, Chris requested a ding dong cake for his birthday.
He is determined to make this year his best yet. I'm so proud of him!











No comments:
Post a Comment