We woke up the next morning and packed up. We decided to go back to Hershey's Chocolate World (Chris really loved those PB Blossom cookies) and we rode the chocolate tour ride once more. At the end of the ride there are these big screens that show pictures of the different cities where Hershey's Chocolate World is located. I took a picture of the Los Angeles screen because it has a Cupid's sign in it! Can you see it!? It's on the left.
We said adieu to Hershey and headed towards Lancaster County to see the Amish farms.
It was such a beautiful drive! I really think that we could live out here. Not necessarily where we are now, but in a smaller area that has access to Philadelphia. I spent some time texting back and forth with a friend who grew up in an area called Downingtown (it's near West Chester and is on a SEPTA regional rail that leads right into Philly) and it's nice to know that we have people we can talk to about the different areas we are interested in. Chances are we will end up back out West, but we aren't limiting ourselves to anything yet.
Anyway, our first stop was a place called Kitchen Kettle Village and I really wasn't all that impressed. It was just a conglomerate of interesting shops rather than Amish stuff. I did see this sign that I really liked, but it was $80 so I took a picture of it instead of buying it.
We left there after walking around for a bit and getting a pretzel, and then we pulled off to some Amish homesteads to buy bread and other stuff. It was pouring rain, so we didn't get to walk around like I'd hoped. But it was beautiful! And we did get to drive around for a bit. We saw lots of horses and buggies and it was really interested to hear the Pennsylvania Dutch accent when we spoke to the Amish women.
The first place we stopped was selling bread and oh my goodness it was delicious. They were selling it out of their house, which was very dark since there were no lights on and the sun wasn't shining. We also bought some cookies, salsa, and friendship bread.
The next place we stopped was selling rootbeer. I'm sad to say that it was absolutely disgusting.
We didn't have the best time in Lancaster County, but we think it's because we just didn't go to the right place. We'll try again sometime in the next year. The rain didn't help much either!
We had lunch at a "smorgasboard" and it was by far the worst restaurant food we've eaten in a while. It was called the Bird-in-Hand Restaurant and Smorgasboard. We definitely will not be returning there.
Our trip was a good one. We all had a blast and it was the perfect amount of time away from home. We got back Saturday afternoon and were able to unpack and stuff before it got too late.







No comments:
Post a Comment