After we were rested and freshened up, we had a delicious dinner at Del Frisco's Grille in Rockefeller Center. I took a ton of pictures of myself and sent them to the kids. Unfortunately the only pictures I got of Del Frisco's were pictures for my kids. I'm not sure why (or how) we forgot to take a picture at the restaurant!
When dinner was over we walked to Times Square. We passed Radio City Music Hall. Someday I would love to see the Rockettes there!
It was very exciting when we got to the theater. I took a lot of pictures. I had been wanting to see Newsies for so long!
We were pretty spoiled walking into the Gershwin theater on our first night. The Nederlander theater is historic, but it is nowhere near as nice. It was so much smaller, the air conditioner felt ancient, the seats were uncomfortable and too close together... And we totally could have spent 1/3 of what we spent and still had great seats. We had seats in the 5th row for Newsies. I could literally see the sweat fall off the casts' faces and spit spray out of their mouths as they were dancing and singing. It was amazing. But the seats in the Mezzanine would have been just as great. The cast was almost always looking up in the Mezzanine anyway. We were too low because their set was so high... but out seats were worth every penny. It was amazing. Here is my illegal picture of the set before the show. Behind this see-through curtain are giant metal towers that the Newsies used as their set.
Here is an illegal picture of the theater...
And here is the last picture I was able to take before the employees told me to put my phone away.
I can't even say enough about the show. It was incredible. The dancing was superb. I've never seen anything better live. And after the opening number of Act 2 ("King of New York"), there was a tap number!!! The sound of it all was just amazing. And to see it.... Tap dancing is a lost art. The acting was great. The singing was great. The story was great. I don't think a smile EVER left my face during the show. I have to tell myself at least once a week that I don't need to see it again, because if I didn't... I'd end up going a few more times and getting myself into some financial trouble!
Anyway, after the show my mom graciously waited around so I could meet/see some of the actors. Truth be told I was waiting for the guy that played Dave. He was incredible! I got a picture of him walking out. Yes, I know. I am a fan girl and I am not ashamed.
I had a great place near the stage door for the longest time and the lead, Corey Cott who plays Jack Kelly, never came out. I decided to act my age and just leave... and no kidding... Not even 2 minutes after I left he came out! I managed to get close enough for an autograph and a picture. Someone told me we look related. It was so nice of them to take time to come to the stage door. I can't even imagine how tired they are after a show!
After the show we walked past Rockefeller Center again. We also briefly walked through Times Square. I had to get a picture of the Minions for my boys!
Back at the hotel I was still on a high from the show. I was so proud of this Playbill! On a side note, it's now hanging on my bulletin board next to my ticket stubs from Wicked and Newsies.
Then I realized that Jenna Fisher, from The Office, was there watching Newsies the same night that we were! We didn't see her, but I thought it was pretty cool!















1 comment:
So much fun... I loved watching you enjoy everything like a young girl again. I LOVE sharing our love of musicals and the arts together.
Post a Comment