Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mother Daughter NYC pt. 8: The 9/11 Memorial

When we finally got to the 9/11 Memorial, I was verbally and visually accosted by a very angry woman who thought we were cutting in line. Little did she know that we were just trying to find out where to go. After some abuse from that woman (it happened twice, by the way... twice in a 5-10 minute period) we realized that since we had tickets we were able to forgo that massive line that the mean woman who very obviously needed a hug was in and walk in to the memorial.

My thoughts? It was beautiful. Breathtaking. Amazing to see the massive wholes in the ground where the twin towers used to stand. Whoever designed it was inspired. The water comes down the sides of these massive barriers. It feeds down into sort of a pool that has a square shape that drops down into who knows where. You watch the water fall down into the depths of Ground Zero and can't help but think of all the lives that were lost (they're written on the sides of the memorial) and how they're resting place is where you're standing. It's truly hallowed ground.






I'm very glad we went. The downsides? It definitely feels like a tourist attraction. I feel like it should be a sacred place, but there are people running around, buzzing around, and yelling all over the place. Maybe it was because we were there on a Friday afternoon... I'm not sure. But it didn't feel as sombre as I felt like it should have.



After we left we stopped in the gift shop and bought a few souvenirs. Then we headed to West Village!

Before I forget, here is a picture of the new World Trade Center that they're building in lower Manhattan.





1 comment:

Irene Duford said...

What beautiful pictures and way of wording the sacredness of this memorial... You had to be there to see and feel it...