I've had quite a few friends ask me to help them plan their trips to NYC over the past couple of months. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because we go there often? I feel very comfortable there, at least in certain areas. It's bizarre, but it feels like home in the way that Vegas felt like home to me while living in Arizona. My trick? Trips like this MUST have a cheat sheet. Train stations and times. Subway trains, directions, and times. Addresses. Itineraries! Not set in stone, of course, but this little guy was in my pocket the entire time! I can't count how many times I had to reference it.
Anyway, after we got off the ferry we headed to the 9/11 Memorial. You have to pick-up tickets at a different location, so we did that and then we walked around for a bit. While standing in line for tickets, I came across a really cool piece of rebar taken from Ground Zero that a local artist formed into the NYC skyline. It was really sobering to see the timeline inside the place where you get tickets.
We had lunch at a deli/cafe next door to where we got our tickets. Then we walked around an old church that served as sort of a hostel for the NYC first responders after 9/11. There was a really, really old cemetery outside. I love old cemeteries!
I was pretty out of my element in downtown Manhattan since I'd never been there before, but we had a nice time avoiding the rain and waiting around until our time slot came up for the 9/11 Memorial.






2 comments:
You are the best navigator and personal tour guide EVER! I loved spending these days with you....
You are the best navigator and personal tour guide EVER! I loved spending these days with you....
Post a Comment