Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Adventures of Aaron's Glasses

Aaron's glasses were quite the event for us! During his 5 year check-up at the pediatrician he failed his eye exam in his left eye. We kind of let it go for a while, thinking maybe it was just him not paying attention. Then I had a friend tell me about her son and how he had to have his eye patched for multiple hours during the day. I decided to go ahead and schedule the appointment and it's a good thing I did! He wasn't using his left eye at all. The doctor put him in glasses and scheduled a follow-up. He was such a good boy during the exam!!



Right after his appointment we went to a glasses place that was close to home. It was such a horrible experience! There were so many frames and so little help from the staff. Aaron didn't really like any of them, so when he said he liked a pair I just jumped on it and those were the frames we ordered. With both boys with me (Matthew was finished with school and we picked him up after Aaron's appointment), I was so frazzled. I just wanted to get out of there. We ordered the glasses and the optician didn't even try them on Aaron's face. When I sent a picture to Chris (who was in Haiti at the time) the first thing he said was "Those look too big for his face." And of course, he was right. We returned the glasses and then had to wait 2 weeks for the insurance to reinstate. Then we headed over to where I get my glasses, which is further away and more expensive but much nicer and they have excellent customer service. We chose a pair for Aaron and the optician made it pretty simple.

Before we went to pick up his appointment I think we had lunch at Chipotle. Aaron wasn't too thrilled about the food, but he was super excited to get his glasses!





These are the ones we came home with. Pair #2!







It didn't last long, though, because these kept falling off of Aaron's face. We ended up taking them back and a different optician said the nose part of the glasses was too big for Aaron and was pushing them off of his face. So we tried on a few more and settled on the pair he has now, which is the last picture below.




So the third time we ordered glasses, we finally got it right! He got them about a month later than he should have, so we had to postpone his follow-up. He just had it, though, and he's doing great! He has improved so much! It was hard for me to hear that Aaron was going to have glasses and have to deal with glasses his whole life (his eyes are like mine and he may never be a good candidate for contacts), but he's loving them and he takes great care of them. He has another appointment in October and we'll see what that brings!

No comments: